Chapter 5
October 8, 2012
- How can I get my students to ask questions about the research they are conducting?
It is important that the teacher guides the students through critical thinking strategies. The teacher can help to engage the learner in what they are doing. The teacher should be an active learner in the lesson along with the students. - How can I teach my students to solve problems?
I can teach my students to solve problems by working with them through solving them. I can provide them with opportunities of exposure to certain problems. I can provide self regulation strategies to the students to help them work through them. Through self regulation it will help the student gain understanding. There are different strategies to help the learner engage in self regulation. Some examples are using "think sheets." A KWL chart is a type of this think sheet. The chart will focus on K, what I know, W, what I want to know in those columns. The L part is what I learned and will be touched on upon completion of the lesson. - I've never used an inquiry-based approach, much less computers - so how is a teacher supposed to do both of these at one time?
It probably seems very overwhelming, but if it is all new to you it is important to start very small. Only do what you can handle and not overdo it the first time. Remember that you are all learners together and there is always information to be gained from the students as well. You can always start with just a portion of the lesson and take it in baby steps. Remember that your colleagues are also there to help you along the way and take advantage of the resources you have around you.
No comments:
Post a Comment